Sunday, August 19, 2007

Gone, But Not Forgotten...

My husband's dad died of a massive heart attack four years ago, when my daughter was 8 years old. We talk about him every now and then, but we haven't lately. Tonight, out of the blue, she said, "I miss Grandpa." I said, "Me, too. He was a great grandpa." She said, "I know (her brother) thought I didn't miss Grandpa as much as he did, but I did. Grandpa gave me some sand from Hawaii once, and I put a little bit of glitter in it." I asked, "Is that the sand I saw on your dresser when I painted your room last week?" "Yes," she said. "And I know I shouldn't have done this, but after Grandpa died, every night before I went to sleep, I took a little pinch of that sand and sprinkled it around my room, so I would feel like Grandpa was with me when I was sleeping. I told her "Grandpa would have loved that, Honey." And I know he does.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about your father in law. It's great that your daughter has great memories of him. It's great that some people either famliy or non- family can put such an imprint on our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Your 2 cents...